Professional Education Package
The Professional Education Package (PEP) provides education and training to health professionals on supporting families in conversations about the opportunity for organ and tissue donation. It is designed to provide participants with the necessary knowledge and skills to sensitively support grieving families to make an informed, proactive and enduring decision about donation that is consistent with the values and beliefs of the donor and their family.
The PEP is a modular, sequential learning package which comprises the following units of training:
- Introductory Donation Awareness Training: Introductory information about donation pathways, clinical processes and family communication related to organ and tissue donation.
- Unit 1 - Family Donation Conversation – Core Module: focuses on detailed information about grief and family reactions to catastrophic news, and provision of skills for communicating with families to explain death and donation to support informed decision-making.
- Unit 2 - Family Donation Conversation – Practical Module: focuses on practical skills training to build on the cored FDC workshop with opportunity to practice challenging scenarios in targeted role plays.
- Unit 3 - Family Donation Conversation - Advanced Module: provides an advanced level of FDC training offered annually to focus on new and emerging content and specific areas of interest in the sector.
- Unit 4 - FDC Elearning program: provides material to support the FDC training to reinforce key learnings.
The PEP has been developed in consultation with staff across the DonateLife Network, peak professional bodies, and the Gift of Life Institute (GoLI) in Philadelphia, United States. In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, the PEP was revised in 2014. The revised PEP structure outlined above will be reviewed as required to ensure the PEP continues to meet the training needs of the sector.
All Australian states and territories have been funded by the Organ and Tissue Authority to conduct PEP workshops in their jurisdiction. Workshop bookings are managed by each DonateLife Agency.
Further details on each workshop are available at the following links: